Sustainable Building Initiatives
In 2014, Gaetano Construction was awarded recognition for recycling.
At Charles A. Gaetano Construction Corporation, as advocates for the environment, we are committed to being a sustainable organization by initiating, implementing and promoting environmental practices through sustainable design and construction so we may protect the needs of our environment both in the present and for the future. As part of this movement Gaetano Construction continues to maintain an active role in the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) LEED program.
As part of the Gaetano Green initiative we have implemented steps to:
- Form an in-house Green Team consisting of members of both the office and field staff to assist in the implementation of Green Initiatives.
- Reduce waste in all of our office and field operations through recycling practices.
- Reuse and recycle materials when applicable.
- Implement energy efficient policies and practices in all of our operations.
- Use sustainable and environmentally friendly products in our operations.
- Educate and train our employees, subcontractors, vendors and clients in sustainable practices, providing them with practical tools and methods.
- Promote our sustainable practices through various media outlets.
- Enroll existing Project Managers in LEED educational and training programs geared toward professional accreditation as a LEED Green Associate, LEED AP and ultimately a LEED AP+.
In order for the implementation of these steps to be successful, it has taken a cooperative effort on behalf of all of our employees to focus their initial efforts on becoming a more environmentally conscious organization by:
- Encouraging the use of recyclable containers strategically placed around the offices and job sites for paper, cans and bottles and other recyclable materials.
- Implementing the use of ceramic coffee mugs in lieu of Styrofoam cups.
- Purchasing or renting materials and equipment from local suppliers and vendors when feasible, to minimize shipping distance and pollution.
- Creating and implementing a Construction Waste Management Plan and an Indoor Air Quality Plan (IAQ) both of which have become mandatory on all of our construction projects.
Gaetano Construction is committed to the success and ongoing implementation of sustainable construction practices. As part of this movement, as we move forward, we intend to educate new vendors and clients on the theory and practice of green building, emphasizing the LEED Green Building rating system. We believe Green buildings are not only good for the environment, they also provide immediate and long-term economic and environmental benefits for developers, building owners and occupants.
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Certified Projects
We have completed several LEED certified or LEED Initiative projects:
Cayuga Medical Center - Southwest Addition - Ithaca, NY
LEED Silver Certification
Marcy Correctional Mental Health Unit - Marcy NY
LEED Silver Certification
SUNY Morrisville - Renovation of Cayuga Hall
Project with LEED Initiatives
Old Forge Center for the Arts - Old Forge, NY
LEED Silver Certification
We are a member of the New York Upstate Chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council.
In our continuing effort to operate in an environmentally conscious manner we have instituted many "Green Initiatives"
- Mandatory recycling of job site waste
- Smoke free job-sites
- Office recycling
- Air monitoring
The Charles A. Gaetano Construction Corporation has an obligation to enforce the existing New York State Clean Indoor Air Act on our job sites and to enforce our Customer's Smoking Policies on our employees and our subcontractors' employees.
The Clean Air Act applies to job sites once the roof structure is on the building and in all office and storage trailers, as well as lunch and break areas. Certain campuses may have more stringent requirements that must be followed.
New job site signs indicating the policy have been provided for the building entrances and job trailers.
Recycle One Business Certification
Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority (OHSWA) has issued a press release announcing that Charles A Gaetano Construction has achieved the Authority's "Recycle One Business Certification". We are the first and only GC in the Oneida Herkimer County region to receive this certification. We are being recognized for our ongoing effort to reduce waste both in the office and the field. We have received a certification letter as well as placards and decals that we can use on our website (see above), project signs as well as in some of our marketing information. Our thanks go out to all of our office and field staff for helping achieve this distinction.
More information can be found at http://www.ohswa.org/business-recycling/certification/
Gaetano Construction Announces LEED Accreditation for Staff Members
Recently, several staff members were successful in earning the LEED Green Associate credential from the Green Building Certificate Institute. Senior Project Manager-Anthony Obernesser, Chief Estimator-Mike Bushardt, and Project Managers, Mike Kulik, Brett Babicz, Lucas Saltsman and Rob Munson all earned the LEED Green Associate designation by successfully passing the accreditation exam. Charles A Gaetano Construction recognizes their achievements as well as their knowledge and commitment to supporting green building design, construction and operations.